Monday, June 1, 2009

Road shoes

Nice hodge-podge of stuff going this past weekend:

Friday pm I took off from work early to go to Outback. Big meal, followed by ice cream and brownies at home. Saturday I had to work until 10pm, and when I got home I walked into a raging party. Big booze fest...Saturday was my birthday, and nice to know somebody could party since I had to work.

Sunday was the most fun, as I got to go on a longish run with Willie and MK Thompson. When we started it was about 93 degrees out, and I felt fine. For the first ten miles or so. Then the heat, or maybe it was all that pavement, started wearing me down. I have been running nearly exclusively on treadmills/trails, and definitely wasn't prepared to do eight hours on pavement. My whining worked, and we cut the run short and back at Willies house for 21.3 miles in just over 4 hours. Willies post-run analysis: "I knew we were in trouble when I saw those white shoes...I don't think I've ever seen Lee in a pair of road shoes." Willie and MK went back out for another few miles: I dug around in the cooler and grabbed a post-run beer. Felt good. Shower and bed immediately...I know, supposed to refuel but I wanted a pillow worse than food. Woke up this morning 5 pounds lighter and way dehydrated, go figure! It's taken most of today to get enough liquid back in the tank.

So, two more weeks of around 50 miles, then a week of 25ish before heading out to Cali. I have been practicing my singing for Western States, and it is still awful...should make it easy for Willie to stay awake!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just keep him moving forward late in the race. Give him small goals to focus on. I need him to still be in the hunt for the SLAM by the time he gets to Leadville brother and for godsake. White shoes!

Anonymous said...

What's in July???

Thomas Bussiere said...

The heat is a killer - Getting acclimated is the key. Thanks for stopping by. I will check back later to see how WS went. Pinhoti is looking good this Nov.

Gary Henry said...

You also have to help keep Willie from going crazy during the taper. Hey, how long until you're not a rookie anymore?