Thursday, July 2, 2009

Western States

I have taken some time to craft this, instead of my usual "sit at the keyboard and type the first things that come to mind". However, I am motivated by the supreme efforts I saw at Western States to put a little more thought into this one.

First off, big job by Gabe and Rick Mayo in pulling out sub-24 hour finishes! I'm not going to say any more on that, anyone who didn't already know these guys are animals has a lot of catching up to do on the local ultra scene.

I was pacing Willie. First time pacing, ever. First time on WS course for Willie and I. Maybe first time in history that a WS rookie has chosen as a pacer someone who has not even ran 100 in one week, let alone one day! I can't describe how amped I was. I had my race gear on way before necessary, and as Willie entered Michigan Bluff I thought I was going to jump out of my own skin. At that point, I could have paced an elite.

Except, a great many elites had already dropped by mile 55ish. Think stifling heat. Unforgiving terrain. Lots of folks who had previously dreamed of doing WS, and maybe even finishing top twenty, suddenly thought of something better to do:
- "Maybe I left the light on in the hotel room? I'd better go check!"
- "I haven't called my Aunt Mildred in awhile! Somebody point me to a pay phone immediately."

Or whatever.

I won't detail the overnight trip. Willie has already blogged about it. And while I don't remember reading this anywhere, I like to think that the little things that pacers and their runners share should be kept inside. It's a special thing, like the time your Dad drove you down a country road, tossed you the keys, and gave you the go-ahead to take the wheel. Somehow, the telling wouldn't do it justice.

I wanted to leave a note on his blog. Text maybe. Or maybe send a card. How do you explain to someone that you learned more about running from their example than anything you've witnessed to date? What version of Hallmark card will convey the appropriate message to a man who has trashed himself for 26 hours and still retains the will to do battle? How do you reconcile with being back in the real world, away from the trail, everything is so surreal because the effort, the WORK that you witnessed still brings tears gushing out of your eyes five days later?

I have no idea what to do, so I'm posting this instead...thanks for the keys, boss.

Peace, Lee C.

6 comments:

Cynical Dirt Doll said...

awesome report Lee! You summed up that special feeling between runner and pacer perfectly. I think Christy cried harder then I did after I finished.. and I'm looking forward to helping bring her to the finish line later this month. I'm glad you guys had a great time.. my heart breaks that the outcome wasn't different.

Darin said...

Awsome report Lee, I have loved reading all the posts and it has been truely inspirational.

Rick M said...

It took me about 3 days to finish my report. A lot of emotion to sort out. Some people write about how beautiful the course was and how it "touched their soul to run it" whatever man. I don't know what race these people were in. This course was a monster that didn't care if you were an elite or 30 hr runner. Great job pacing see you soon.

Gabe said...

good stuff Lee. Pacing is tough work but the reward is tenfold. Job well done.

Christy said...

Lee - I love this one, it brought tears to my eyes just reading it and identifying with it - funny what happens out there in all those miles...

Willie Lambert said...

Many runners including myself have all sorts of devises to help them get through a race. Perhaps it's a certain food, or a miracle supplement, maybe designer arm (or calf)sleeves or even a titanium necklace. But the truth is that when the chips are down, nothing pulls us through like a friend.

Lee, you along with Bret are the reason I was able to get to mile 85 that day. Twenty five miles into that race as I staggered through Duncan Canyon I thought my day would end at Robinson Flat and I am sure that if I had been there by myself it would have. I will be forever amazed by the way you guys took care of me, resurrecting my race and getting me moving down the trail again. Your companionship and encouragement throughout those dark miles in the middle of the night kept me going when I thought I had nothing left.
We almost did it, another three minutes and it may have turned out differently.

It was five weeks ago this morning that our Western States experience came to an early end, and although some disappointment still lingers, what I have lost is nothing compared to what I have gained through having you as a friend.

Thanks Lee for all you do, not just for me, but for this entire running community. It is better because of people like you.