Friday, February 20, 2009

No need for speed?

So, I have been incorporating some speed work into my running diet. Actually, it's "faster than normal for me" work, which is painfully slow by most folks' standards. While I do think it's helping my development as a runner, it's painful for me and hideous for others to watch. Ever see those fast guys doing their track workouts? Feet barely touching the pavement, both legs working perfectly together, the whole windmill movement of their lower body...beautiful. My legs seem to work independently of each other, with one leg wanting to slow down and the other wanting to stop altogether. As I repeatedly remind myself to "hold form", I discover that my face has scrunched up in a grimace, like I'm gulping suppositories instead of electrolytes. When I concentrate on relaxing, I look down to find my hands flailing about, tensed up, or engaging in a little game of "rock/paper/scissors" betwee my right and left hand. I'm thinking of putting something on YouTube...my speedwork could become an internet must-see.
Today: 6 miles, average of 9:20 per mile off the bike path at Lake Shawnee. I would send you the video if I had one.
Peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Give it time bro. The speed will come with time. Or at the very least form.
I hear ya about the whole 3RD shift B.S. That's what I'm on right now at work. Melatonin helps with the sleep deprevation. and blackout curtains. I walk for about an hour to an hour fifteen every night that I'm on midnights. I pretend i'm walking during the night section of a hundred miler.

Cynical Dirt Doll said...

haha! I've started doing speedwork too, and I feel like such a spazz! I am SO hoping that noone ever shows up with a video camera, 'cuz it would be sure to win on America's Funniest Home Videos.