Sunday, May 10, 2009

Rock Creek Trail #2

Seen from a volunteers perspective, some notes for the Rock Creek Trail race this past weekend:

- congrats to all the runners. As much as I enjoy seeing the speedsters display talents I only dream of, its every bit as much fun to study the faces of the folks I usually run with...back there.

- Volunteers galore. Bo and his kids; John and his crew; Barb; Jenn; Christa; MK and Gabe; "workhorse" Askins; and at least 6 other people I missed. I am so taken with these efforts that I'm having a hard time with the words. If the execution of this race is to be a machine, ya'll are truly the wheels. Thank you.

Thanks to RD's Karen and Willie Lambert for setting this whole thing up. None of us can volunteer or run without these opportunities. I used to think that life-changing experiences were tied to the distance of the event. I think now that every event offers that experience for those who seek it.

- Finish line beer is the best in the world. When I retire, I'm never going to a bar, I'll just show up at races. I like the atmosphere better there anyway.

- Bit of personal info that I've not asked permission to share, so I won't use her name...a female runner came through our A/S and when I asked her if she wanted some food she declined, pointed to her stomach and said "Gut issues". She is one of the toughest runners I've met, so I wasn't overly concerned as she headed on. She stopped in her tracks, turned and gave me a hug for luck at Berryman next week. We've all fought that same stomach stuff, but to be caring enough to show some love for another runner whose race is a week away? Incredible. It would take a damn sight more than gut issues to keep this lady from doing anything she set out to do.

- Something that goes overlooked, but Kansas Trail Council is a constant in keeping those trails up and maintained. If you find another trail that was more runnable than Perry on Saturday, study it closely...you're probably on pavement.

- See ya'll at the night run...Lee C.

2 comments:

Darin said...

You guys did an awsome job, what a great race as always. The Rock Creek series is what got me started running ultras and will always love it. Good luck at Berryman, I waited to long and it was full before I got my entry in.
Kinda sucks, but I guess I can't run them all, if it was a little closer I would volunteer.

Cynical Dirt Doll said...

Thanks again so very much for your volunteerism Lee! Always nice to see a friendly face and hear an encouraging word!
(and never worry about tagging my name on anything I do.. I don't embarrass easily and I'm usually the first person to laugh at myself.)

Those trails are amazing.. you are so very right. Get ready for a big ol' Trail Hawk invasion on a regular basis since we ALL agreed we needed to spend more time on your gorgeous trails.