Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Sheez...

Whataday, whataday!
I knew an old football coach who used to shout this before the start of every practice. Shouted with enthusiasm, it was still a pretty generic call to battle in my opinion. Until Monday.

Monday morning after work I grabbed about 4 hours of sleep before cutting the grass. Laid down for about an hour before the UPS guy woke me up (What can Brown do for daysleepers?). Then squats and lunges before meeting the locals for "Hawg trot", a run that begins and ends at a BBQ restaurant/bar. Nice little tempo run, although my stride is too inefficient and I usually have little aches/pains in my feet after these things. Went home, showered, then work. Got off at 6am and caught a 10 minute nap in the Great Plains Running Co. parking lot before Willie showed up, went to scout the trails for Rock Creek #2. I did a 6 or 7 mile jog before giving up the ghost and walking the rest of the way in. My paws were hurting enough by then to practice some visualization of being up all night, hurting, and still having miles to cover to finish. A slice of convenience store pizza and a shower before FINALLY getting back in the rack for some rest. WHATADAY, indeed!

Mileage-wise I'm a little behind schedule for the week, but rest and recovery for the foot will have to be keys for the next ten days leading up to Berryman. I'll pour on the low weight/high reps in the gym for two more days this week and nurse the foot as best I can. Mentally, I find great inspiration in what I know from my peers. It wasn't that long ago that Christy Craig was fighting knee trouble, only to spank 40 miles at Free State. Willie has a foot story courtesy of the Mother Road 100, but has refused to let that keep him from doing the things he wanted to do. Colleen was technically dead with a cold for a month before Rocky Raccoon. Gary has been training for Leadville with Colorado beer.

Bottom line: thanks for the inspiration. I learn enough from ya'll to keep stumbling through this thing we do.

3 comments:

Cynical Dirt Doll said...

If your schedule looks like that normally, you will have NO problem bagging a 100 miler! Good heavens.. it made me tired just reading about it. Make sure you get enough sleep since sleep is what you need to heal and be ready for the big B.
And thank YOU for inspiration, your ready smile and encouragement are like boosts of caffeine.... I love that we all learn so much and draw strength from each other, we are truly blessed to have such a wonderful group of trailrunners here.

Anonymous said...

Yes! shift work I love it. Take care of the foot. Don't worry so much about mileage. Whatever you do to try and improve a week before the race isn't going to help you come race day anyway. Get the foot right. Your body will know what to do when it needs to do it.

Anonymous said...

You could learn worse things than to drink Colorado beer (microbrews, of course)!